Article I Name
This organization shall be called the John Jones Surgical Society of the Department of Surgery, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital (NYPH)*/Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC)
* Formerly, The Presbyterian Hospital (a unit of the former Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center) (CPMC)
Article II Purpose
This Society is established to preserve the history of the Department of Surgery (NYPH/CUMC) and to provide a vehicle for the alumni of the Surgical Service to maintain contact with each other and the Department. In so doing, it is anticipated that resources and ideas will be shared and the continued excellence of the residency program ensured.
Article III Membership
All surgeons who trained fully in the Department of Surgery (NYPH/CUMC). Also, present surgical faculty.
Surgeons who trained in part, including fellows, in the Department of Surgery and past surgical faculty will be considered for membership by the Membership Committee on an individual basis.
Any surgeon who trained at the NYPH/CUMC other than in the Department of Surgery, who wishes to join the Society and is interested in the aims of the Society, will be considered for membership by the Membership Committee.
Present residents and fellows in the Department
Any physician, by virtue of special consideration or distinction, may be elected to this class by the Society.
Article IV Governing Body
The governing body of the Society shall be known as the Steering Committee.
- The Steering Committee shall be composed of: Elected officers of the Society, the Past President, the Chairman of the Department of Surgery and at least eight members, elected by the membership at the Annual Meeting, on recommendation of the Nominating Committee. Members of the Steering Committee shall serve for at least 3 years. Additionally, a new 5th year resident will be appointed to the Steering Committee for one year, on a yearly basis.
- The officers shall be: President, President-Elect, Secretary, Recorder, and Treasurer.
- The terms of the President, President-Elect, Treasurer and Past President shall be for two years, the secretary and recorder shall serve for three years [to allow for overlap and continuity]. Officers may be considered for re-election for an additional term.
- The Treasurer shall be a current member of the Department of Surgery (NYPH/CUMC)
Article V Meetings
- An annual meeting will be held each spring, at a time determined by the President and Program Committee. A voting quorum shall consist of any number of members present.
- The Steering Committee shall meet regularly or on special occasions as determined by the Officers. A voting quorum shall consist of at least six members of the Steering Committee.
- Notices shall be sent a minimum of two weeks prior to scheduled meetings.
- A reception will be held at the annual fall meeting of the American College of Surgeons.
Article VI Committees
- A Nominating Committee shall be elected by nominations from the floor at the Annual Meeting of the Society. The President shall be a member of the Nominating Committee.
- A Program Committee shall be appointed yearly by the Steering Committee.
- A Finance Committee shall be appointed by the Steering Committee and shall determine dues and contributions towards the expenses of meetings. A financial report shall be delivered at the Annual Meeting. The Treasurer of the Society shall serve as Chairman of the Finance Committee.
- A Membership Committee shall be appointed by the Steering Committee and shall review the election qualifications of members in the various categories. Its membership shall consist of three members, two of whom may be from outside the Steering Committee.
- A Constitution and By-Laws Committee shall be appointed by the Steering Committee.
- Special committees can be appointed and convened by the Steering Committee.
Article VII Newsletter and Directory
- A newsletter shall be produced by the Department of Surgery and sent to the membership. Responsibility for the Newsletter shall be the Recorder of the Society.
- An Alumni Directory shall be produced and updated on a regular basis.
Article VIII Office
The office of the Society shall reside in the Department of Surgery (NYPH/CUMC)
Article IX Amendments
The constitution and by-laws may be amended by a two-third vote of the members of the Society at the Annual Meeting, provided that the proposed amendment or amendments shall have been submitted in writing and approved by the Steering Committee.