What tests may be done prior to surgery?
Your surgeon may order blood tests, an electrocardiogram and/or a chest x-ray in the days or weeks prior to your surgery. In addition, your doctor or nurse practitioner/physicians assistant will perform a physical examination to check your baseline health. You may meet with the anesthesiologist. This is a good time to ask any questions relating to your surgery.
Can I eat or drink?
You should not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery. If you eat or drink anything after midnight your surgery may be cancelled.
What medications can I take?
You should inform your doctor of any medications you are taking. You may be told to discontinue them before surgery. All aspirin-like drugs should be discontinued for ten days prior to surgery. High doses of vitamin E, C and gingko Biloba should also be avoided. All of these can interfere with blood clotting during surgery.
When Should I Arrive at the Hospital?
You will receive a telephone call from the hospital the day before your surgery (if surgery is scheduled for Monday you will receive your call on Friday). You will be asked to arrive two hours prior to your scheduled surgery.
- If you do not hear from the Milstein Hospital representative by 4 PM call 212.305.0973
- If you do not hear from the Allen Pavilion representative by 6 PM call 212.932.4104
What Should I Bring With Me to the Hospital?
- Hearing aides
- Contact lens storing case
- Loose shirt that buttons in the front to wear home
- Do not bring: jewelry, money, valuables
What should I do before coming to the hospital?
- Shower, shampoo and brush your teeth as usual. Rinse, but do not swallow the water.
- Remove all jewelry.
- Remove red or frosted nail polish (clear or neutral colors are allowed).
- Remove contact lenses (wear your glasses. You will be asked to remove them before surgery).
- Do not eat or drink anything unless otherwise instructed by your doctor or nurse.
- Do not smoke.
- Bring all medications with you. Write down all their names and how often you take them.
- Make sure to arrive on time.
- Parking for Milstein is located at 165th Street and Ft. Washington Ave.
- Parking for the Allen Pavilion is at 5141 Broadway at 220th Street.