Living Donor Liver Transplantation
The Living Donor Liver Transplant program at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital is one of the largest living donor liver programs in North America. We have performed more than 220 living donor liver transplants since its inception. We have performed more left lobe donations than any other living donor liver program in North America and introduced fully laparoscopic donation for all pediatric liver donor liver transplants in 2009.
Our program achieves excellent outcomes for donors and recipients. Our recipients, according to the most recent SRTR data, have 97.1 % one year survival after transplantation and a three year survival of 93.3%. Additionally, nearly all donors are very satisfied or satisfied with donating. While great results are critical, we view caring for the whole donor as central to our mission. Thus we offer specialized nursing, nutritional support, smoking cessation, weight loss and pain management.
Columbia's Jean C. Emond, MD, was a member of the team that pioneered living donor liver transplantation, which is now considered one of the most important advances in the treatment of severe liver disease. Approximately 15-20% of the center's transplant patients currently receive a liver from a living donor. Dr. Benjamin Samstein has led the program since 2008, introducing laparoscopy.
Dr. Robert Brown – What is a living donor liver transplantation?
Unique strengths of the program
- Full time living donor liver transplant coordinator, Darby Santamour
- Specialized donor nurses who are trained in donor care and are sensitive to the special needs of donors
- Donor Mentoring program which provides emotional support and advice from people who have donated
- Laparoscopic approach to all donation which enables smaller incisions and faster recovery
- Fully laparoscopic surgery for donation to child
- Outcomes that well exceed the national outcomes and expected outcomes for liver transplantation
- Active participation in the NIH national trial in understanding outcomes of donors and recipients of live donor liver transplantation
- Follow up of donors for years after donation
Read personal stories about living donor liver transplantation at the CLDT.