The NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center for Liver Disease and Transplantation (CLDT) offers adults and children with liver disease the seamless integration of medical, surgical and radiologic expertise. We have a legacy of close collaboration among clinical specialists including hepatologists, gastroenterologists, hepatobiliary surgeons, diagnostic and pathology experts, advanced-care nurses, social workers, and patient support staff affiliated with the program.
Founded in 1998, the Center for Liver Disease and Transplantation is one of the first liver programs built from the inception as a multidisciplinary unit. The center has performed over 1000 liver transplants as of July, 2007, and has cared for thousands of patients with liver disease and liver cancer.
The CLDT's experts offer extensive experience diagnosing and treating all forms and stages of liver disease, including antiviral treatment for Hepatitis C and Hepatitis B and liver transplantation. We can assess and treat liver disease with standard medical therapy, investigational protocols, and surgical therapy. We are also a primary transplantation center.
We offer novel treatments for patients with liver cancer and cancers of the bile duct, or cancer that started elsewhere in the body and has spread to the liver.
Living Donor Liver Donation
Columbia's living donor liver transplant program is the largest in New York, and offers the best access to transplantation in the northeast region. Our high volume gives patients unparalleled benefits including:
- Increased likelihood of receiving a liver transplant: Patients at Columbia are ten times more likely to receive a liver transplant than they are at other hospitals, in large part because of our program's expertise in living donor transplantation.
- Significantly reduced chance of dying while waiting for a transplant: Nationally, 23% of patients are unable to receive a transplant in time. At Columbia, that rate is 14% and we're consistently working to meet the needs of those who are waiting.
- Access to the latest and most comprehensive selection of clinical trials and innovative therapies, including research and therapies for hepatitis C, liver cancer, and more.
Learn more about our latest research here »
- Highly personalized, patient-centered care: Not every patient with the same condition receives the same therapy. Our approach always seeks to provide the least invasive treatment with the best results, but we recognize that every patient has his or her own priorities that must be considered when determining a plan of care. We were the first to offer fully laparoscopic living liver donation.
Learn more here »
Pediatric Liver Transplant Program
The Pediatric Liver Transplant Program is a recognized national leader in the care of children and adolescents who require care for all forms of liver disease. Our multidisciplinary team is the only transplant program in the U.S. with three board-certified pediatric gastrointestinal transplant specialists. This team is prepared to manage any liver disease that may affect your child, offering expertise in:
- medical management (including immunosuppressant regimens);
- nutritional support;
- interventional procedures such as ERCP;
- innovative surgical approaches; and
- all forms of liver transplantation, including living donor transplantation and Auxiliary Partial Orthotopic Liver Transplantation (APOLT), also called partial or split liver transplantation.
Research and Innovation
Clinical innovation and scientific progress are at the core of the Center's mission. The center participates in multiple government- and industry-funded clinical research studies at any given time. Our patients have the opportunity to receive treatments available in only a few centers, or in no other centers. We are also a major center for the study of treatment outcomes for liver disease treatment and liver transplantation.
Review current clinical research »
We are committed to caring for all patients regardless of financial status, and we participate in many insurance plans. We strive to offer the widest range of services, therapies and options to individuals facing the burdens of liver disease. We are gratified to help them gain a new lease on life.
About financing »