Orientation time: 7:00AM
Welcome to the third year clerkship, consisting of five weeks on the General Surgery service, at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. Ms. Doris Leddy is the Clerkship Coordinator. Her office is MH7-307 G.S. 212-305-9596, and her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
They are available by appointment or on the fly.
Enclosed in your syllabus is a daily schedule of your activities and obligations.
There are didactic sessions with the faculty addressing Curriculum topics. The Curriculum topics are derived from the required textbook: Essentials of General Surgery by Peter F. Lawrence, 4th edition. You should prepare yourself by reading the appropriate chapter from your textbook in advance of the talks.
Your main source for your reading should be:
- Essentials of General Surgery by Peter F. Lawrence, Fourth Edition. This book will be loaned to the medical students, during their surgery clerkship rotation.
- National Medical Series (NMS) Surgery Casebook by Bruce E. Jarrell, 1st edition
- Blueprints Q&A Step 2 Surgery, 2nd Edition
- COACH — Comprehensive Online Advanced Care Heuristic (www.coachsurgery.com)
COACH is a Web-based learning resource developed by Dr. James Lee (Endocrine Surgery) that contains many valuable procedure videos, care manuals, and departmental conferences and lectures including Grand Rounds and Evidence-Based Algorithm presentations. If you are unable to complete your mandatory surgical procedures, you can use one COACH video as a substitute.
Additional recommended resources include:
- Kaplan Medical USMLE Step 2 CK QBook (Surgery Section), 2011
- Cope's Early Diagnosis of the Acute Abdomen by William Silen 20th Edition.
- The Mont Reid Surgical Handbook by David R. Fischer & Burnett S. Kelly, Jr. 5th Edition.
- Surgical Recall by Lorne H. Blackbourne, Sixth Edition
- Surgical Attending Rounds by Cornelius M. Dyke & Eric J. DeMaria, Third Edition
- Landmark Books listing under Surgery