161 Fort Washington Avenue
Herbert Irving Pavilion 2-210
New York, NY 10032
Phone: (212) 305-5578
Assistant Professor of Medicine at CUMC
Pinar Jaclyn Smith, MD joined the Columbia Thyroid Center as an endocrinologist in July 2020. Dr. Smith’s procedures include performing in-office thyroid ultrasounds and FNA biopsies. She also actively participates in thyroid tumor boards where she brings her patients' cases to the attention of a multidisciplinary group that includes surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, and pathologists to discuss their cancer management plans.
She completed her endocrinology fellowship at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Beth Israel, where she trained under Dr. Terry Davies. While there, she was recognized as an E. Chester Ridgway Trainee Recipient of the American Thyroid Association. Dr. Smith has presented case reports of thyroid disease at multiple conferences, including the American Thyroid Association, American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and the Endocrine Society. She has been researching bone metabolism since 2008 while at the University of Virginia as both an undergrad and as a medical student and, later, at the Icahn School of Medicine.
- Internal Medicine Board Certified
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Board Certified
- MD: University of Virginia School of Medicine
- BS: University of Virginia, College of Arts and Sciences
- Fellowship: Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Residency: Loyola Department of Medicine, MacNeal Hospital
- University of Virginia (UVA) Echols Scholar, 2007-2011
- UVA Department of Chemistry Distinguished Major Program, Highest Distinction, 2011
- UVA Department of Chemistry Merck Index Award, 2011
Original, Peer-Reviewed Research Publications
- Haseltine K, Chukir T, Smith P, Jacob J, Bilezikian J, Farooki A. Bone Mineral Density - Clinical Relevance and Quantitative Assessment. J Nucl Med. 2020 Dec 11:jnumed.120.256180. doi: 10.2967/jnumed.120.256180. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33310738.
- Gera S, Sant D, Haider S, Korkmaz F, Kuo TC, Mathew M, Perez-Pena H, Xie H, Chen H, Batista R, Ma K, Cheng Z, Hadelia E, Robinson C, Macdonald A, Miyashita S, Williams A, Jebian G, Miyashita H, Gumerova A, Ievleva K, Smith P, He J, Ryu V, DeMambro V, Quinn MA, Meseck M, Kim SM, Kumar TR, Iqbal J, New MI, Lizneva D, Rosen CJ, Hsueh AJ, Yuen T, Zaidi M. First-in-class humanized FSH blocking antibody targets bone and fat. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2020 Nov 17;117(46):28971-28979. doi: 10.1073/pnas.2014588117. Epub 2020 Oct 30. PMID: 33127753; PMCID: PMC7682550.
- Yang X, Li CJ, Wan Y, Smith P, Shang G, Cui Q. Antioxidative fullerol promotes osteogenesis of human adipose-derived stem cells. Int J Nanomedicine. 2014 Aug 20;9:4023-31. doi: 10.2147/IJN.S66785. PMID: 25187705; PMCID: PMC4149442.
Other Peer-Reviewed Publications
- “Armour Thyroid and Liothyronine Combination Potentiated Thrombosis” Tai Ho Shin, MD, Pinar Smith, MD, Peter Goulden, MD, SAT-519, Journal of the Endocrine Society, Volume 4, Issue Supplement_1, April-May 2020, SAT–519, https://doi.org/10.1210/jendso/bvaa046.968
- “Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis as a Predisposing State for Acute Dural Venous Sinus Thrombosis” 2019 E. Chester Ridgway Trainee 89th Annual Meeting of the American Thyroid Association in Chicago, IL. Published electronically in Thyroid journal, supplemental issue, October 2019
- “Incidence of venous thromboembolism in patients undergoing lower limb surgical revascularization: Is thromboprophylaxis warranted?” European Hematology Association Open Access Library. 182050; Abstract P763, June 2017
- “Hashimoto Encephalitis.” American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists 26th Annual Scientific & Clinical Congress in Austin, TX. Published in Endocrine Practice journal, May 2017