The NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Pediatric Surgery Fellowship Program is a two-year program designed to provide a broad intensive education in all aspects of pediatric general surgery. The education is focused on, but not limited to, pediatric surgical oncology, congenital and acquired conditions of the newborn, non-cardiac thoracic surgery, and all aspects of pre- and post-operative care of infants and children.
Multidisciplinary programs in Trauma, ECMO, Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia, Oncology, Thyroid disease, Obesity and Esophageal Atresia provide focused education in these areas. The integrated program in prenatal pediatrics provides the fellow exposure to diagnosis, treatment, and counseling of the fetal patient/family as well.
The goal of our training program is to graduate surgeons who can independently evaluate and treat the full scope of pediatric surgical diseases, manage the consequences of treatment, and know when to seek appropriate consultation and advice.
William Middlesworth, MD, Professor of Surgery
Phone: (212) 342-8585
Fax: (212) 342-2138
Phone: (212) 342-8586
Fax: (212) 342-2138
Division contact numbers
Columbia University Division of Pediatric Surgery
Phone number: (212) 342-8585
Fax Number: (212) 342-2138
- Jennifer DeFazio, MD: Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Vincent Duron, MD: Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Erica Fallon, MD: Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Steven Stylianos, MD: Chief, Pediatric Surgery, Professor of Surgery
- Jeffrey Zitsman, MD: Professor of Surgery
Number of fellows
2 one per year
Training site #1: Columbia University/NYP Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital
- Free standing children’s hospital (Number of beds: 284)
- Percentage of time at this location: 90%
Training Site #2: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Children’s hospital within adult hospital
- Percentage of time at this location: 5%
(GPS) General Pediatric Surgery (both in-patient and outpatient Fellows manage a weekly clinic as part of their curriculum) Site 1
(MSKCC) Pediatric Surgical Oncology (both in-patient and outpatient) Site 2
(Urology) Pediatric Urology (both in-patient and outpatient) Site 1
(NICU) NICU (Nutritional Management/ Ventilator Management) Site 1
(PICU) PICU (Nutritional Management/ Ventilator Management) Site 1
NOTE: Vacation is coordinated amongst the 2 Pediatric Surgery Fellows based on coverage. Pediatric Surgery Fellows are allowed 4 weeks every academic year.
Weekly: Chairman's Conference, Radiology, Morbidity and Mortality, Pediatric Solid Tumor Conference, Journal club/Resident topic Presentations
Monthly/Quarterly: Pathology, Trauma Simulation, Surgical Skills simulation, Joint Neonatology/Surgery Conference
Applications to our pediatric surgery training program can be submitted through the ERAS service of the Association of American Medical Colleges.
As a Graduate Staff Member of CUIMC’s Pediatric Surgery Fellowship Program, you will have access to our competitive benefits package. We are committed to supporting you and your loved ones through comprehensive healthcare coverage options, life, accident and disability services, and resources specifically for family assistance. We also offer a significant opportunity to help you save for your retirement.
Our medical center has an extensive presence in NYC and we know how important it is to find a conveniently located home that isn’t a burden on your finances. Our program offers Columbia Campus Housing, which consists of 20 apartment buildings surrounding the main Columbia Campus. Our properties span from West 164th Street to West 170th Street and are located in close proximity to major subway service in Manhattan.
Visit our housing resources page to view the properties available below.
- 600 West 165th Street – Studio
- 520 West 168th Street – Studio
- 630 West 170th Street – Studio
- 602 West 165th Street – One Bedroom
- 625 West 169th Street – One Bedroom
- 641 West 169th Street – One Bedroom
- 615 West 164th Street – Two Bedroom
- 602 West 165th Street – Two Bedroom
- 621 West 169th Street – Two Bedroom
- 245 Fort Washington Ave – Three Bedroom
- 640West 170th Street – Three Bedroom
- 615 West 164th Street –Three Bedroom
- 245 Fort Washington Ave – Four Bedroom
- 600 West 169th Street – Five Bedroom