Columbia University’s Department of Surgery consists of physicians, researchers, and other health care professionals united in their mission to deliver the best surgical care possible. We are a vital part of the Columbia University Irving Medical Center and proud partner of NewYork Presbyterian Hospital, sharing in the highly regarded history of both institutions.
Recognized once again as one of the top hospitals in the nation by U.S. News and World Report.
Columbia Surgery has earned a reputation as the place where people with even the most serious and complex conditions can come for skilled, sensitive care. We are where doctors from the region choose to seek care for themselves and their loved ones when it matters most. The reasons for this are simple: our divisions are directed by national leaders in their field, our programs and services are some of the most comprehensive in the country, and we continuously produce excellent results for our patients.
Underlying this reputation is a culture of compassionate care rooted in over 250 years of medical research, education, and practice. From our primary campus at Irving Medical Center to our various affiliated hospitals and clinics, our surgeons and staff focus on giving each patient the attention, respect, and compassion they deserve. Backed by the very latest in technology and research, we can offer our patients an unmatched level of expert, personalized care.
As part of one of the United States’ largest and most comprehensive academic medical centers, we’re able to offer the full spectrum of specialized and subspecialized surgical services. For instance, we are one of the few centers capable of performing intestinal transplants, and one of the only programs in the tri-state region that can perform several pediatric surgeries while the baby is still within the womb. Our physicians and staff are skilled and experienced in dealing with any surgical condition or treatment you may need help with.
Some highlights of our specialty programs include:
- Our organ transplant program is the largest in the nation, regularly performing hundreds of procedures each year and pioneering techniques like living donor transplantation.
- Our pediatric heart program at Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital offers some of the most advanced, safest, and proven treatments for congenital heart conditions
- Our Acute Care and General Surgery program helps ensure that an expert surgical team is available 24/7 for emergencies and includes palliative care specialists to offer more holistic care when needed.
- We can offer most of our patients minimally invasive, laparoscopic procedures to reduce scarring and have expanded our use of surgical robots to improve particularly complex operations.
We see patients in the inpatient and outpatient setting at offices, clinics, and hospitals across New York City and the surrounding area.
Our main location is the Columbia University Irving Medical Center (CUIMC), a 20-acre campus in the Washington Heights area of Upper Manhattan. The CUIMC campus includes outpatient offices at the Herbert Irving Pavilion and operating rooms in Milstein Hospital, Milstein Family Heart Center, and the Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital―all of which are part of our partner hospital system, NewYork-Presbyterian.
- Herbert Irving Pavilion
- Milstein Hospital
- Milstein Family Heart Center
- Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital
In addition to the main CUIMC campus, our surgeons can also be found at offices throughout New York City, Westchester, New Jersey and beyond, and operate at these NYP-affiliated hospitals:
- The Allen Hospital in Northern Manhattan
- NewYork-Presbyterian Westchester in Bronxville
- Hudson Valley Hospital in Cortlandt
For us, providing world-class care means going beyond individual check ups and operations. Columbia Surgery is dedicated to improving care through research that advances our understanding of diseases and discovers better ways to treat them; we are also dedicated to improving care by educating the next generation of surgeons and helping them become skilled, wise, and compassionate practitioners.
A Leader in Multidisciplinary Research
Our research mission is to improve lives by developing safer and more effective surgical and medical treatments. To accomplish this, our many researchers work collaboratively with multiple disciplines within our medical center and across the wider research community. We conduct hundreds of clinical trials each year and receive millions of dollars in funding annually for our basic science and translational research. Our research has led to significant breakthroughs in dozens of areas of study, from discovering new ways to extend the number of organs available for transplant to pioneering the TAVR procedure to replace damaged heart valves through the smallest of incisions.
Educating the Next Generation
Columbia Surgery is one of the premier residency programs for young doctors to get hands-on training and experience across the surgical field. Our specialty fellowship programs are ranked among the top in the nation. We regularly produce national and international leaders in surgery by not only teaching them the necessary knowledge and skills, but also giving them a profound understanding of the science, art, and ethics of successful surgery.
Our general surgery residency program:
Our fellowship programs:
- Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency & Fellowship
- Breast Surgery Fellowship
- Colorectal Fellowship | Advanced IBD Fellowship
- Endocrine Surgery Fellowship
- Pediatric Surgery Fellowship
- Pediatric Transplant Hepatology Fellowship
- Plastic Surgery Residency
- Transplant Hepatology Fellowship
- Transplant Surgery Fellowship
- Vascular Surgery Fellowship
Our CME offerings and events for healthcare professionals: