Cosmetic Ear Surgery (Otoplasty)
Cosmetic ear surgery, also known as otoplasty, improves the shape, position or proportion of the ear. It may be right for you if you have a defect in the ear structure that was present at birth that became apparent as you grew older or that has been caused by injury.
Otoplasty (ear surgery) Procedures
Cosmetic ear surgery creates a natural shape while bringing balance and proportion to the ears and face. Correction of even minor deformities can have profound beneﬁts to appearance and self-esteem.
Ear surgery can treat:
- Overly large ears, a rare condition called macrotia
- Protruding ears occurring on one or both sides in varying degrees (not associated with hearing loss)
- Adult dissatisfaction with previous ear surgery
This procedure usually involves inconspicuously placed incisions behind the ear and placement of internal sutures to bend the ear cartilage into a more natural shape. This procedure is performed quite commonly in both children and adults.
Otoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia or general anesthesia.
Before Ear Surgery
- Avoid taking aspirin, Advil, Motrin, or other aspirin-containing products for two weeks.
- If you are a smoker, stop smoking to aid in healing.
Recovery After Ear Surgery
- You may have aching or throbbing pain after surgery which can be relieved with pain medications.
- You may return to normal activity in about one week but anything that may bend the ear should be avoided for one month.
- Ear surgery leaves a scar in the back of the ear that fades with time.
- Recurrence of the ear prominence may occur in some cases.
If you are considering a cosmetic procedure, our team is here to help. Call us at (212) 305-3103 or request an appointment online.
- Brow lift
- Chin Surgery
- Face Lift (Rhytidectomy)
- Botox Injection
- Injectable Fillers
- Cosmetic Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty)
- Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
- Neck Lift
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Reduction (Mammoplasty) & Gynecomastia (for men)
- Breast Lift (Mastopexy)
- Arm Lift Surgery (Brachioplasty)
- Body Contouring After Weight Loss (Body Lift & Thigh Lift)
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
- Scar Revision Surgery