Face Lift (Rhytidectomy)
Rhytidectomy procedures (commonly referred to as face lifts) are among the most popular facial rejuvenation procedures to help maintain a youthful, rested appearance. This cosmetic procedure is proven to diminish those telltale signs that suggest a patient’s true age.
About Face Lifts
A face lift procedure targets specific areas of the face to achieve a patient’s facial rejuvenation goals. If a patient shows signs of aging in the following areas, then a rhytidectomy may be the right procedure for them:
- Drooping or sagging in the mid-face, including around the cheeks, nose, and mouth.
- Age lines below the lower eyes.
- Deep lines that extend from the nose to the corner of the mouth, often referred to as “laugh lines.”
- The appearance of a double chin, despite maintaining a normal, healthy weight.
- A loss of muscle tone, which leads to loose, low hanging areas, such as jowls.
Correcting issues that have developed as a result of aging can remove years from one’s appearance. Removing excess skin and tightening the remaining tissue can smooth facial features to once again give patients their youthful glow.
To achieve a full facial rejuvenation, a face lift surgery is often performed with other facial procedures. A face lift can easily be performed at the same time as a brow lift or eyelid surgery, to help patients achieve their facial aesthetic goals.
Face Lift Technique
The procedure often begins with an incision at the temples, just above the ear, that extends along the inside of the scalp in front of the ear to behind the earlobe. For work in the neck region, an incision is made under the chin. Many procedures can be performed endoscopically through 5 or 6 tiny incisions instead of a linear incision.
After the incisions are made, the skin is separated from the muscle and fatty tissue. Excess fat is trimmed, and the surgeon shifts and tightens the underlying muscle and tissue. Skin is then pulled and sutured back into place.
Facelift surgery is typically performed under a local anesthetic, but can be done using general anesthesia.
Before Face Lift Surgery
- If you are a smoker, stop smoking to aid in healing.
- Have available saline eyedrops and plenty of ice for post-surgery care.
Recovery After Face Lift
- You will need to keep your head elevated for several days.
- Swelling and bruising will subside after about two weeks.
- Most patients resume work and daily activities in about ten days — two weeks.
- Scars are inconspicuous, usually hidden by hair or in natural creases of the ears.
If you are considering a cosmetic procedure, our team is here to help. Call us at (212) 305-3103 or request an appointment online.
- Brow lift
- Chin Surgery
- Botox Injection
- Injectable Fillers
- Cosmetic Nose Surgery (Rhinoplasty)
- Cosmetic Ear Surgery (Otoplasty)
- Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
- Neck Lift
- Breast Augmentation
- Breast Reduction (Mammoplasty) & Gynecomastia (for men)
- Breast Lift (Mastopexy)
- Arm Lift Surgery (Brachioplasty)
- Body Contouring After Weight Loss (Body Lift & Thigh Lift)
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
- Scar Revision Surgery